Is there a tax credit for central air conditioners (CACs)?

The tax credit for central air conditioners (CACs) is in effect through December 31, 2014.

How much:



Must be installed in your "principal residence" between January 1, 2011 and December 31, 2014.


Split Systems: SEER>= 16 & EER>=13 (What is SEER/EER?)

Package systems: SEER>= 14 & EER>= 12 (What is Split vs. Package?)

Important Note: It is likely that you will have to replace your furnace as well to get an air conditioner that qualifies.

The new air conditioner does not have to be replacing an old one to qualify.

Find qualified models:

The best way to find tax credit eligible CACs is to ask your HVAC Contractor (Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning). To verify tax credit eligibility, ask your HVAC contractor to provide the Manufacturer's Certification Statement for the equipment you plan to purchase. Or search the Manufacturer's website.

A user-friendly list of all tax credit eligible CACs does not exist. There are two partial lists of qualified air conditioners designed for HVAC professionals which we do not recommend for consumers.

How to apply:

File Tax Form 5695 with your tax return.

You must have a Manufacturer's Certification Statement to qualify.

What about Window Unit /Room Air Conditioners?

Rating:Rating of 2 Stars86 Votes
Was this answer helpful?YesNo
Topic Information
  • Topic #: 23002-19309
  • Date Created: 04:24:2009
  • Last Modified Since: 03:23:2015
  • Viewed: 69282
Welcome Guest